We strongly recommend you make reservations in advance by calling 717-756-5766 to assure kayak availability. Experienced kayak guides are available by reservation, but NOT required due to the gentle nature of the creek. If you wish to have a guided trip, you must indicate so when you make your reservation.
All rentals include: kayak, paddle, life vest (PFD), waterproof container, shuttle, and basic instruction.
- Rental time period begins at launch and ends at take out point.
- Guided trips: add $15 an hour per guide. (guided trips must have a minimum of 5 people.)
- 10% discount for military, Swatara Watershed Association and Manada Conservancy members.
- 10% group discount with parties of 10 or more, if reservations are made and paid as one.
- Limit of 30 people per group, unless special arrangements are made.
- Customized trips are available, and Cocoa Kayak Rentals will assist in your planning (see Packages on Home page).
- Boxed lunches available at $15 each if pre-paid with reservation–made to order from the Brass Rail Deli.
- Discounts cannot be combined
Advance reservations are required. Online reservations require full payment. Phone reservations can be secured with a 50% deposit–the balance is due when you arrive for your trip. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and PayPal.
The Swatara Creek is normally 2′ in depth and there are no rapids. Basic kayak instruction will be provided for all trips. According to PA Fish & Boat Commission: all kayak renters are required to have basic swim skills. We encourage you to wear your PFD at all times, when on or in the water. Be aware unexpected swims are possible and sudden drop-offs on the creek bottom occur.
Cocoa Kayak’s trips are suitable for all skill levels. The minimum participant age is 9 years for a single kayak rental, or 6 years of age if riding a tandem with an adult 18 years or older. (Our requirements for determining suitable weather and creek conditions are elevated for trips including children.)
All boaters must sign a liability waiver, unless under 18, than a parent or guardian. To download our liability waiver for review or to print and sign in preparation for your trip, click here.
We would appreciate avoiding short notice cancellations. If you cancel more than 3 days before your trip, deposits are 100% minus a 3.7% transaction fee. Less than three (3) days prior to trip – cancellation deposits may be charged 5% of trip cost.
DO NOT BE LATE! Renters must be ready to leave from meet-up location at the designated time. We do NOT wait for late arrivals since other customers may be on the same trip or it could affect the trip schedule throughout a day. If you are not able to reschedule after a late arrival, a fee of 5% will be applied to your refund. Such determinations are at the discretion of Cocoa Kayaks of Hershey.
Weather Conditions Policy:
Trips run rain or shine–we reserve the right to modify or cancel trips when severe weather and creek conditions are determined unsafe by Cocoa Kayak’s management. If this occurs, Cocoa Kayak will reschedule your trip OR refund your deposit in full.